Belkasoft X Help Contents
The following general settings are available:
- Application folder path. This path is used by Belkasoft X to store its settings. In most cases you can just leave this option to its default setting, but if you are going to store cases and options onto a thumb drive and move this drive along different machines, you will find this option very helpful.
- Temp folder path. During the analysis, Belkasoft X processes a lot of information, and unpacks and extracts various files. Temporary folder is used to store these files. If your system drive is a small SSD drive, we highly recommend you redirect Temp folder to a larger HDD.
- CPU cores to use. This option helps you to specify how aggressively Belkasoft X should use your computer’s resources. Available options are two to N, where N equals the amount of your processor cores. You cannot specify to use only core, since Belkasoft X reserves one core for its user interface. By default, Belkasoft X uses two cores: one is for case processing and one core is for the interface. If you have a powerful machine with dozens of processors, the bottleneck will probably be your hard drive, not the CPU, so advisable to decrease the amount of cores used (such as, only use 16 cores out of 32). It is not possible to give specific advice for all available configurations, testing with your unique set up by you may be needed.
- Memory cache size for indexing (Gb). The product uses ElasticSearch engine which requires a significant amount of memory. If you are limited in memory and see memory errors reported by the product during analysis, consider decreasing the amount of memory allocated to the indexing.
- Always open the last case. If this option is set, Belkasoft X, when started, will try to re-open the last case that was open before your license was previously closed. Otherwise, no case is opened by default and you will have to specify which case to open.
- Check updates automatically. If this option is set, Belkasoft X will try to check for available software updates on each start (needs an Internet connection).
- Run cross-case analysis. If this option is set, the product will search for matches between the currently open case and older cases during analysis. The following types of data can be searched: email addresses, phone numbers, application UINs, and profile names.