What's New in Belkasoft Evidence Center 2019 Version 9.3
Belkasoft Evidence Center 2019 v.9.3 (or, in short, BEC)
is an all-on-one forensic solution, combining computer,
RAM, mobile and cloud forensics in a single tool. Given its affordable price,
it is one of the best choices among other available products on the market.
Version 9.3 of BEC 2019 is a major new release
with a pack of new features for all supported types of acquisition and analysis
- Mobile acquisition: agent-based and EDL acquisition for Android
- Support for Elcomsoft and GrayKey iOS images
ingestion and analysis added
- Ingestion of zip and tar archives supported
- New important artifact: Windows 10 Timeline
- Custom carving introduced, including support for Scalpel and
- Massive update of cloud forensics features
- Single-file case container allows quicker case copying
and saves disk space
- Pornography detection using ANN (artificial neural networks)
is supported. Re-training on custom sets allows to find case-specific
- As usual, a pack of new and updated computer and mobile apps
- Besides, with BEC 2019 Belkasoft is introducing
official training and
BelkaCE certification. Two courses are available: Belkasoft
Essentials and Belkasoft Advanced, both are 2 days long. Available
onsite locations for 2018: USA and Europe.
Sign up for a webinar on BEC
Upgrading to version 9.3 is free to all customers with a non-expired Extended
Software Maintenance and Support contract. Customers without a
current contract can purchase it from the Customer
Portal. An affordable
Course is also available for those who would like to catch up on all recent
improvements. Training with
optional certification is available.
New features in detail
- Agent-based acquisition for Android
devices is supported. Standard ADB backup is missing a lot of
forensically important data and is shaky: a single app which behaves
incorrectly, may spoil the whole acquisition. Agent-based approach
allows you to reach much broader set of data, including various chat and
mail apps. A small program, called "agent" is temporarily uploaded to a
phone, helping to acquire maximum amount of data. Once the acquisition
is finished, the agent is removed.
- EDL acquisition for Android
devices supported. Android devices with Qualcomm processors allow to
enter so called Emergency Download mode (in short, EDL). Using this mode
BEC 2019 can acquire data which is not available with standard and
Performance and usability
- Carved data deduplication significantly improved. This helps
carving process to avoid producing files already extracted with other
types of analysis, thus making your case size smaller and decreasing
overall analysis time.
- Single case container introduced. In previous versions all
produced files, such as carved files or files extracted from email or
document attachments, were stored separately in a case folder. Now all
of them are stored in a single case file, what decreases space required
on a disk, greatly speeds up moving a case or exporting it to Evidence
Reader and also deleting case.
- Browser profiles redesigned. The way how BEC 2019 detects and
shows browser profiles are significantly improved, what leads to much
smaller amount of nodes in the Case Explorer window and simplifies
overview of extracted browser data.
- Search is significantly improved (both predefined search speedup and correctness)
- less false positives, more accurate showing of search match and so on.
New interface allows you to import FTK and Scalpel signature sets for custom carving.
Original columns can now be shown for bookmarked items.
- The way BEC shows carved data is significantly improved.
While previous versions of BEC were showing carved data in separate
nodes of Case Explorer, now the data is merged to corresponding nodes
with artifacts found with regular analysis. To give an example, if a
chat is carved, it is shown under Instant Messengers node, along with
chats extracted from existing profiles. This greatly simplifies
examination of artifacts of the same type because you do not have to
look at different places for similar artifacts anymore.
- Email body preview column can be added to Mail list.
General interface performance improved.
- Complete e-mail body can be added to a report now.
- To customize Report columns, you can select needed ones in the Advanced
Report options window.
- It is now possible to create report for bubble view.
Cloud data acquisition was massively updated to allow a user downloading
major cloud services data:
- G Suite data downloading updated.
- iCloud data downloading updated.
- Instagram data downloading updated.
New and updated artifacts
- Browsers analysis updated for each supported browser.
- Bluetooth device extraction added for iOS.
- Apple Mail support updated.
- inbox.lv, inbox.lt, mail.ee apps supported.
- Windows 10 Timeline supported.
About 200 smaller improvements and bugfixes are made.